So, this US Senator hates wasteful spending.. sure, we all do. He points out several of them in some book he just wrote. called “wastebook 2011” in case you don’t want to go over to the boring site he’s on, here is a list of just a few of them:
• $75,000 to promote awareness about the role Michigan plays in producing Christmas trees & poinsettias.
• $15.3 million for one of the infamous Bridges to Nowhere in Alaska.
• $113,227 for video game preservation center in New York.
• $550,000 for a documentary about how rock music contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union.
• $48,700 for 2nd annual Hawaii Chocolate Festival, to promote Hawaii’s chocolate industry.
• $350,000 to support an International Art Exhibition in Venice, Italy.
• $10 million for a remake of “Sesame Street” for Pakistan.
• $35 million allocated for political party conventions in 2012.
• $765,828 to subsidize “pancakes for yuppies” in the nation’s capital.
• $764,825 to study how college students use mobile devices for social networking.
… wait… Video game preservation is wasteful!?
I agree with the 75K that went to Michigan to promote it’s abilities to grow trees and stuff, that’s ridiculous and really comes off looking like a spoiled child feeling left out when his brother can add 2+2 faster than he can “Well…look what I can do!” as it jumps flailing in the air as if being electrocuted.
and yeah… 13million for a bridge to nowhere sounds REALLY bad. I’m sure it was meant to go somewhere though and something bad happened. The rest kindof look ridiculous as well. But I have to say I do not agree with his bitching about the preservation center in New York. Would he have the same issue with a preservation center for the arts?. for music? No, of course not. The International Center for History of Electronic Games is kindof awesome and if we are going to hold Gaming as a form as Art, which it is very much able to be held at. Then I don’t see any problem with funding something like this.
I think Mr. Coburn is throwing it in his list because HE thinks it’s ridiculous and a waste of money. Compare the funds that went to the ICHEG and the “pancakes for yuppies” which I am assuming means how much pancakes cost the capital (I’m shrugging, I really have no idea what he’s babbling about.) you’ll see it’s 7 times more money! I say his webpage was a waste of money. Seriously Mr Coburn, how uch did you spend on your own website to try and promote yourself?
a quote from the site: “Video games, robot dragons, Christmas trees, and magic museums. This is not a Christmas wish list, these are just some of the ways the federal government spent your tax dollars. Over the past 12 months, politicians argued, debated and lamented about how to reign in the federal government’s out of control spending. All the while, Washington was on a shopping binge, spending money we do not have on things we do not absolutely need. Instead of cutting wasteful spending, nearly $2.5 billion was added each day in 2011 to our national debt, which now exceeds $15 trillion,” Dr. Coburn said.
oh fancy that, a Doctor. You’re first 2 words is “Video Games”…. yet, it’s recieving the 3 LEAST amount of money on the list. Way to capitialize on the media train of hating on something they don’t understand. demonizing it because… Hey, everyone else is right?
You sir, are a Douche…
[Source: Tom Coburn Wastebook 2011]